Canisius (7-1) at the Lady Pirate Classic
Hosted by Hampton - Hampton, Va.
Dates: March 8-9, 2013
The Field: Canisius, Central
Connecticut State, Delaware, Hampton, Siena and UMES
SOFTBALL RETURNS TO
ACTION AT LADY PIRATE CLASSIC
- After a week off, the Canisius College softball team returns
to action March 8-9, as the team travels to Hampton, Va., to take part in the
Lady Pirate Classic.
- The Golden Griffins are 7-1 on the year after sweeping the
North Carolina A&T Invitational Feb. 24-25. The 7-1 start to the season is
the best start to the year for the Blue and Gold since the 1994 campaign.
- Canisius enters this weekend's action hitting .348 as a team
and the Griffs have outscored their opponents by a combined tally of 61-23.
- The Griffs' seven wins are the most for any team in the
MAAC, as of March 6. The other eight MAAC schools have combined for a total of
16 wins to this point in the season.
- As a team, the Griffs have scored nine or more runs in four
of the team's last five games, highlighted by a season-high 12-run output Feb.
24, in a 12-0 victory at North Carolina A&T.
- Eight Canisius players are hitting better than .300 this
season, led by senior Stephanie Pfentner,
who is batting .667 (12-for-18) with three doubles and a slugging percentage of
- Pfentner is one of three Canisius players with three doubles
this season, as sophomore Robin Kennery and
freshman Tori Nappo also have three
two-base hits through eight games. Of the team's 21 extra-base hits, 15 have
been for two bases.
- Tori Nappo and Kennery lead the team with 10 RBIs, while
five other players have driven in four or more runs this season so far for the
Blue and Gold.
- The pitching duo of senior Amanda Baun and junior Jen
Consaul have combined to allow just 16 runs this season and only nine of
those are earned runs. Baun is 3-0 in four starts with 19 strikeouts in 21
innings of work.
- Consaul, who was named the MAAC's Pitcher of the Week Feb.
24, is 4-1 with a 1.27 ERA and a save this year. She's thrown three complete games
so far this year and she ranks first on the team and second in the MAAC with 31
strikeouts in 33 innings of work.
RAPPL LOOKING FOR 800
- Canisius head coach Mike Rappl starts the weekend with a
career record of 798-472-2, leaving him two wins shy of 800 for his career.
- Two wins this weekend would allow Rappl, a member of the
College's Sports Hall of Fame, to become the 22nd active Division I
softball coach to reach the 800-career coaching win milestone.
Rappl would be the fourth Division I head softball coach to
reach the 800-career win mark this season, joining the club with Tory Acheson
(Tennessee State), Kathy Strahan (Sacramento State) and Karen Weekly
(Tennessee), who all earned their 800th career victory in 2013.
- Rappl, who is in his 34th season as head coach
for the Griffs, is the winningest coach of any sport in the Metro Atlantic